Thursday, December 17, 2009


Lots has been happening lately.

The muse, it seems, is back. It's difficult not to question why (or what or whom), but so far, I've just been enjoying the feeling of being compelled to write and having characters in my head again.

Virginia and Lars, for instance, who are an abridged version of last year's truncated NaNo attempt (Price above Aubies), keep residence during the day, where they insist upon tempting me to write in google docs about their burgeoning communication. I just might end up making this next year's attempt, only with the original characters.

And if you can believe it, Michael and Alice have been on my mind lately. They've gotten really good feedback from the interracial erotica site (you should go check that out if you haven't already), and I keep seeing Michael, a little more stocky and bearded now, in my head in the evenings. Alice is a little different now too; her hair is natural now; she wears it in cropped curls, and has switched from chanel (she can't bear to wear it anymore - it was 'their' scent), to something a little more mysterious and moody. Less commonly seductive and more studiously so. Guerlain Vol de Nuit, I think.

I can't tell if they're in Charleston or Savannah, but wherever they are, there is lots of history, some dark, some romantic, and all of it much older than it seems on the surface. A lot like them.
But what is hard to see is how it happens. How they get together again. Because all I know right now is that they do.

The big news, though, is that I won NaNoWriMo for the first time. No small feat, and curiously enough something that couldn't have happened without two things: one, the encouragement of a great writing partner/cheerleader/foot-to-ass-er, and two, to vent the inevitable emotional roller coaster of one of your worst fears coming to pass, and then disappearing.

It seemed only right that I write a story that encompassed discovery, memory, loss, grief, redemption, and love. Because all those were completely front and center this past month. The novel is dedicated to her, and whether or not it ever sees the light of day, it always will be partly her creation as well as mine.

So I'm working on a few submissions in the next couple of weeks. Because at the beginning of the year will begin an even larger project: NaTheWriMo.

That's right: Thesis: take two.

Get your popcorn and bookies' numbers out, y'all. This one's gonna be a doozy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home