Sunday, July 09, 2006

"Fat is not a judgement".

i was just at the makeupalley boards (On which I don't post nearly as much as I used to becasue of the blatant sizeist/race-ignorance that I run into on a regular basis there), and someone mentioned that there was a girl who was 5 ft, and 170 lbs. Of course, everyone thought it necessary to point out how unhealty and obese she is. "Obese" is, of course, the thin person's word for everything over 120 lbs., so you have to figure that in too. However, in this case, it is clinically obese. Hell, I'm clinically obese. The doctor who told me so is no longer my doctor. He rates right up there with the guy who grabbed my gut, shook it and said, "What's this? A TUMOR?"

I hate doctors. Except my GP. Love him.

Anyway, I digress.

These board girls, who all claim to be size 0 and 00, spend $600+ a pop on a purse or shoes, and come back to brag about it to strangers on the internet...the same ones who jumped all over me because I dared to say that plus size clothing is marganlized and shouldnt be -- one of these girls said

"Fat is not a judgement."

Right. And I'm Victoria Beckham. A woman who, like Nicole Richie, has become famous for her emaciation, and thus is considered beautiful, a fashion plate, someone to be envied. Admired. Kate Winslet, (considered 'chubby' by societal standards), was digitally whittled down for a spread in GQ, lest her unbony figure turn off its readers. "Size six is the new size fourteen" is a jab at an industry that indeed, considers anyone over size 10 invisible, but marginalizes anyone who designs for those invisible women a second-class designer. Women refuse to have sex because they "Feel fat". I myself have said I'd chose an early death over being thin.

The truth is, Fat IS a judgement. It's become synonymous with 'ugly' and 'unacceptable.' Women are more succeptible to it becaue we feel our worth is so tied into our appearance. This is why a woman, if she chooses to truly wound another, need only hint that she is overweight.

"fat" to so many people means more than "she/he eats more than he/she excercises," or "he/she has a glandular problem". It means "You are lazy, no-good, unattractive, unloveable, undesirable, and certainly not worth as much as this thin person over here."

So yeah, as it stands now... Fat is a judgement. The only way to stop is is to stop judging people that are fat.

2 Comments:

Blogger K.C. said...

Hi, I just came across your blog from a comment you wrote on another blog. I LOVE that you took these girls on. I've been part of many online sizism discussions this week and am just AMAZED at how ignorant and judgemental some people can be. Good for you! Okay, off to go see if I can find your whole debate with these chicks on makeupalley.

3:13 AM  
Blogger Alison at Wardrobe Oxygen said...

I love this post, and I love that you made me realize that this past time on my fashion blog, I did not post clothing from brands that sell over a 12 or so. As a woman who is called obsese by doctors and probably by acquaintances behind my back, I hate to encourage any sort of this thought.

It's funny, I was a member of a website called Chubby Girl's Brigade and I left because they gave me crap for being too thin for their standards. Is there not any place in this world where a woman can get a decent dress and a little respect?

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home