Friday, October 13, 2006

Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look...

How easy it is to forget that being on the SS Private corporation is no easy trip. Keeping one's head and profile low doesn't seem to get me as far as I'd like.

Like just yesterday, yours truly was scolded for all the favorites she had in her folder (an amateur move, I'll admit) and "Bouncing Round the Internet" after I came up with some spyware on my computer. The good news is that nothing was lost; the bad news is that now I'm on high alert (i mean really, like what am I going to take home when I have to pack up my ish and leave, because they like to fire folks around here) and heard a page for a conference call for what could mean curtains for moi: my boss, accounting, and aforementioned IT guy.

Now the good news is that I have it on good authority that Everybody Uses The Internet For Fun(and not everybody for just blogs and fashion forums and online shopping, like I do) . and I solved (in the midst of the two IT guys) a serious problem for one of my bosses when they couldn't. But we all know that as one of the chocolate chips, I'm going to be easier to melt than the dough.

I got caught slippin', getting comfortable, thinking I'm one of them. Truth is, I must remember that just because I'm not with the Boss from Hell anymore doesn't mean I can ease up. The work still gets done, don't get me wrong -- but when it comes down to who can play and who can't, even when I do have downtime -- I'm just gonna have to find extra stuff to do. Busywork, filing... hell, Dusting (works for one of my bosses!). Just look busy and have a ready answer when Absentee Boss #1 comes around asking what I'm working on. Because he can play online all day and not have a worry. Hell, he can even try to pad his expense reports. But I'd better have some damn proof (thank you Mapquest!) if I'm going to submit a $9.00 mileage report.

So now I'm waiting for the call. Straightforward boss is gone for the day, so if she's going to have to give me the axe, she'll either call or I'll get it Monday. Big Boss won't do it himself; he's too busy and doesn't like dealing with women that way.

The favorites are gone, and I'm back to remembering my Game Face TM .

I just wish it wasn't so easy to forget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home